Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ross for President!: Tea-Parties and Taxes

This is going to be the first installment of the Ross for President series. Enjoy!

I am tired of hearing about tea-parties. Tea-parties are something that little girls participate in with their stuffed animals and baby dolls. I appreciate the fact that people are exercising their freedom of speech, but I say do your talking at the polls...VOTE!

After recently stating my disdain with this tea-party mess, a friend from Mississippi (a very conservative friend) stated that I should support them because, "...you are going to be even more tired of paying taxes." That point is debatable. Nobody likes paying taxes, especially for things you don't agree with. Then, I had a brilliant thought. What if you could pick and choose how your tax money was spent? Would it make you feel better to know your taxes were spent on the things you felt were worthy? And if taxes were increased, would it bother you as much in this scenario?

What if you were provided with a gigantic list of all the agencies and agenda your tax money goes to, and you had the opportunity to CHOOSE which you supported? You fill out your form for your tax money: 8% goes to the Mississippi Department of Transportation, 10% to the Harris County School District, 5% to Save the Whales, 10% to Social Security, etc. Maybe you want your money going to The Navy, higher education, cancer research, and AMTRAK. Now, I know the budget would be thrown a major curve ball. I imagine we would end up with schools having more money than they knew what to do with, highways crumbling to pieces, and the war budget being...almost nothing. But, would this be so bad? The people would be spending the money where they felt the priorities lay. You want money for high-speed rail funding? Beg the people to allocate their dollars to you. Government employee pay raises? Convince me to take my money from the National Park Service. YOU pick where YOUR money is spent. Tired of the war? Stop giving them your tax money.

I'm no fool, and I know this would never happen. But, in the truest sense of the word, the PEOPLE would get to make the decisions...and isn't that what we like to think this country is all about?

ROSS FOR BOSS! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment